Residential Utilities

Water Department

The Water Department is located in City Hall and serves as the hub for city utilities.

Leak Adjustments

In the event of a water leak you may be eligible for an adjustment to your water and sewer bill. Water leaks come in various forms and therefore could result in billing increases of hundreds, or even thousands of dollars. 

Billing Dispute Criteria and Appeal Process

As a department of a local municipality in the State of Mississippi, the City of Cleveland Water Department operates under the Mississippi Code of State Statutes and the Mississippi Constitution which prohibits a municipality from compromising or forgiving claims which are not doubtful. Pursuant to MS AG Opinion No. 94-0242 (Gay): A municipality may not reduce or forgive a utility bill of a customer as a donation for the benefit of that individual. However, a municipality may reduce a utility bill unreasonably increased because of unforeseen circumstances and for which the customer did not receive the benefits of the utility service. The municipality may negotiate settlement of a doubtful claim. Whether a municipality may reduce a utility bill of a customer depends upon the facts and circumstances of the case.

Any customer seeking to dispute billing of charges on their water bill should contact the Water Department for clarification or correction of disputed charges in the event of an error. Water Clerks are available M-F; 8am – 5:00pm by phone at (662) 846-1471 or via email at:

If the dispute is not resolved by the Water Clerk, account-holders have the right to initiate the appeals process. 

Filing the Appeal:

  • An account-holder may appeal in writing by completing and submitting the Billing Dispute Appeal Form received within thirty (30) days of the disputed bill’s due date. Any comments attached to the Appeal Form should clearly demonstrate the issue or issues in dispute, along with any proof, such as copies of bills and/or receipts necessary to help the City understand the basis for and support of the account-holder’s claim. Account-holders are encouraged to file an appeal prior to the 10th of the month to avoid the $25.00 late charge and before the 20th of the month to avoid the disconnection of water service for nonpayment.   
  • If the Appeal Form is not received by the required due date, the right to appeal is waived, unless a demonstrated extenuating circumstance, as determined by the City, prevented a timely appeal being filed. 
  • The inability to pay for the water services is not a basis for an appeal, nor shall the Appeal be used as a tool to avoid full payment of valid charges. 
  • Please be advised that filing a dispute will only place a temporary hold on the charges in disputeAll other charges, including future bills that are invoiced after the filing date of the dispute will be due and subject to late fees and disconnection fees. 
  • The Appeal Form will be reviewed by the City, and the account-holder shall be notified in writing (via email and a mailed copy) of the decision rendered within fifteen (15) business days of rendering a decision. 
  • After you have been notified of the decision, you will have ten (10) business days to either pay the bill or enter into a payment agreement if applicable. If you do not proceed with either option, your water service may be shut off for nonpayment. 
  • If the City determines there has been an error and is at fault, the City will make the necessary corrections and the account will be adjusted accordingly up to a maximum period of one year. At no time shall the adjustment period, regardless of culpability, be greater than one year. 
  • All decisions made by the City are final.