City Flood Services

The first thing you should do is check your flood hazard. Some reference material can be found at the Bolivar County Public Library on S Court Street. You can also visit the Department of Community Development at 215 N Bayou Road to see if you are in a mapped floodplain or repetitive loss area. 

Department of Community Development

At the Department of Community Development, you can get more information, such as depth of flooding, past flood problems in an area, and copies of elevation certificates on buildings built in the special flood hazard area since 1987. Upon request, they can also give you a map determination letter designating what flood zone your property is located in.

Review Flooding

Upon request, the Department of Community Development can send someone to your property to review its flooding problems and explain ways to stop flooding or prevent flood damage. You can call them at 662-843-4601 to schedule a site visit. These services are free to the public, and you are encouraged to educate yourself on your risk of flooding and what you can do to alleviate it.